Its been a few rough, unhappy weeks in Bobland. Stress from all directions, overbooking, the ever-lurking spectre of depression rearing its ugly head. The works. I’m tired of it, nigh unto death.
So what am I going to do about it?
Well if I dig down deep, take some time and get introspective, I know I feel this way because I am fundamentally unhappy with where I am. I had several good years of personal progress, but since Dad died I have…stalled. I keep spinning my wheels, and for every two steps forward I take on one front, I lose two on another.
They say if you can do a thing for 21 days, or 30 days, it becomes a habit. Science shows that is not the case. The human mind is a bit more complex than that. On average it takes 66 to over 200 to make a lasting change. So I have set a goal:
Starting April 1st, and for the following 100 days, I will seek to build the habits I want to carry me through the next stage in my progression as a human. 100 days to hopefully undo years of slovenly behavior, and replace it with something more conducive to being the man I want to be.
Why not start today? Tomorrow? Why the first?
Two reasons. One, selfishly I want to enjoy Nasty Fest on the 29th and 30th without any special restrictions, and I will need a day to recover I am sure.
The other though, is to remove stressors. This is not going to be easy, and I need to remove any things that cause me stress that I can. All these little things that I have been holding off on fixing, or changing, that stress me out.
For example, my sheets are not deep pocketed, and my bed needs that kind. So every night before I go to bed I have to fix my sheets. So I just ordered some deep pocketed sheets. My door whistles due to a dent. So before the 1st I will hopefully be getting that fixed. My car is always a mess, so I ordered some organizing gear to help me keep it clean. That sort of stuff.
What am I going to be attempting for each of my 100 days you ask?
* I want to start each day by doing the sun salutation yoga series of poses. I could stand to be more limber, that’s for sure.
* I want to work out for at least 30 minutes. I don’t care what, so long as I do it. Jogging, body weight moves, whatever.
* I want to drink 2 liters of water. I used to be so good about this, but I have gotten out of the habit.
* I want to eat better. I want to get to a place where I don’t need low carb to lose weight, and where I am eating good, healthy food.
* I want to cut all soda, and replace it with green tea.
* I want to write at least 100 words a day. I write plenty on work days, but slack on the weekend.
* I want to write a meaningful letter to someone at least once a week. A letter thanking thing for something, forgiving them, or building them up in some way. 14 or so letters in total.
If you would like, come along with me. Remove your own stressors by the 1st, pick your goals, and lets take this journey together. Strength in numbers, right?